I've read statistics that say 75% of lawyers are unhappy practicing law. Although, if that's an accurate statistic, then I have to believe, based on my experience with lawyers (and as a lawyer), the other 25% are lying! It's an unsettling fact (or I guess my opinion) that nearly every lawyer is unhappy practicing law.
The question is, why? How can so many people in one field report dissatisfaction? Sure, there's the fact that it's a big responsibility and the pay isn't what it used to be, etc., etc., but what's *really* going on? For whatever my opinion is worth, I have two theories.
#1 - Many of us chose to go to law school for the wrong reasons ... we graduated college and didn't know what else to do; we couldn't get a job; our parents are lawyers; or we believed we would make loads of money!
#2 - We took the wrong job; one that doesn't fit our personality style.
Why did YOU go to law school? I'd love to hear your "stories". Then we can dive into them and see where the unhappiness really lies and move beyond it.